After seeing a few pics of what others had done for scale
lighting, I decided to make functioning landing lights. Electro Dynamic
sells a landing light package, that consists of a head lamp, red and green
wing tip lights, and a flashing beacon light.
In order to make a scale head light, I used parts from a flash light to
make the reflector, some scrap fiberglass, and a hinge to make the working
I then hinged the light into the wing, so that it would swing forward,
when pushed by the small micro servo mounted in the wheel well. Here are a
few pics of it working:
I did a little research on RCU to
see if there was any information on installing bomb releases, etc. Yet I
couldn't find much info. I was basically on my own, and went with what I
thought would work. If it doesn't, I can always make a new set at a later
I basically used a common fourmost bomb release that I found in my local
hobby shop, and built it into the pylon. I used a small servo, that I
glued in with some hot
glue (easily removable if
need be), and connected the servo, to the release with some thin music
The whole pylon is then held on by two 4-40 bolts, that are mounted into
the wing. This way I can easily remove them if need be.
I then installed a simple charge jack where I can connect the servo when
ever I have the pylons attached.
Wing tip Lighting
Before I get much further I also installed some conduit for the
wing tip lights. I figured to get them installed now, before I sheet and
fabricate the wing tip.
Joining the Wing, Sheeting, and Flaps
The flap servo is installed in the wing, so that it is hidden.
Some hardwood rails are used to secure the servo, and a hatch has to be
fabricated so as to gain access to the servo.
The plans call for a plywood flap horn, which is installed in the
flap. When I looked at this, I decided that I wanted to make the horn out
of something a little stronger than plywood, so I opted to make the horn
out of some circuit board.
Since, I have finished most of the internal workings, I decided to
install conduit to house all the wiring in preparation for joining and
Now that most of the structure inside the wing is finished, my
next step is to join the two wing halves. According to the instruction
sheet, Ziroli recommends that you sheet the wings completely and then join
the wings. I've decided against that order, in that I would rather
partially sheet the wing, join it, then finish the rest of the sheeting.
My reasoning is that I want to be able to clamp the wings together so I
can get a good solid joint of the two wing halves.
As you can see in the pictures I have sheeted the leading edge and the
control surfaces, then glued the wing halves together.
Now that the wing halves are glues together, I can finish sheeting the
center section of the wing.
I used some Ziplock bags, filled with lead shot to create weights that
will contour around the wing as the glue dries. They work rather nicely.
Now that wing is sheeted, I can glue in and shape the wing tips
My next step is to cut out the ailerons and flaps.
Update Nov 2/2006: I know there a few out there who were
following the progress of my P-47, and I just wanted to mention that I
have put this project on hold for the next little while. I have a few
other "model" projects that I would like to finish prior to completing the
P-47. Although once they are complete, I will be updating the site with
further progress. I hope to get back to the Jug soon.
Construction Page 1
Construction Page 2
Construction Page 3
Construction Page 4